Encouraging caregivers & families to understand and prioritize oral health is a way to decrease oral disease in children. You can help teach families about nutrition, brushing teeth and scheduling a visit with a dentist and creating a dental home.
What to keep in mind when speaking to caregivers & families:
- Importance of oral health care, including age-appropriate brushing habits, early detection of decay, and good nutrition
- Be aware of their attitudes toward dental care and address any questions or concerns they have about caring for their child’s oral health
- Messages should be clear, short, and simple
- Provide various methods of communication – posters, picture handouts, hands-on demonstrations
- Urge parents to take an active role in caring for their child’s teeth at all stages
- Motivate parents to model good oral health practices like brushing their teeth twice a day, flossing once a day, visiting a dentist regularly, and eating healthy foods